Sunday, October 15, 2006

Buy Original

I've noticed recently that there are some pretty blatant copies of my work and designs circulating, especially in the Manitowoc County area.

Yuck. I hate dealing with this kind of thing. It makes my insides hurt. I hate the idea of someone copying or stealing someone, anyone else's designs. I know firsthand what it takes to be creative. I know what it takes to be an artist. I know what it takes to try and make a living as an artist. I know what it takes to nourish your creative side, to sit there with a blank canvas in your mind and play with colors and designs until inspiration hits.

I've also experienced watching customers mull over my work as I make notes on what sells and what doesn't. I've done the leg work of honing my product offerings after attending countless shows and listening to customer feedback. This is my living we're talking about.

But more than that, this is me we're talking about. I'm the one who sits in my studio hour after hour and day after day (loving it, of course, but that isn't the point). It's my insides turned outside and fused into each piece I pull from the kiln. Each item's color palette is determined by my mood the day it was made...or what I'd like it to be. I admit, sometimes it's wishful thinking. Each item is representative of some piece of me. For someone to take that cuts deep.

On the flip side, I know that it isn't the end of the world that others are mimicking my work. I guess I'm just expressing the meanderings of a moody artist.

They say that imitation/plagarism is the sincerest form of flattery. Somehow I don't feel very flattered...I'd describe it more as violated.

Moral of the story: When looking for my work, make sure you're buying Kate Gadd Glass originals. Trust me, it's worth it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very well said Kate!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kate,

I met you at the Holiday on the Lakeshore festival today. I can tell you that I fell in love with your work , and so did my spouse when I brought it home with me! I'm sorry to hear there are copies floating around out there. That is just bad news for *everyone*.

It's so wonderful to see all the great art and creativity in the Manitowoc area. I hope others appreciate you and your fellow artists as much as we do!