Thursday, May 24, 2007

Bye, Bye Georges...

So the Georges have officially flown the coop, so to speak. I noticed that they were becoming particularly bold in their wandering throughout the weekend. I checked on them Sunday afternoon and then went to take a shower. All were cuddled up, sleeping soundly. About an hour later, Rit came into the living room with a look of such sadness on her face. All she could say was..."Don't look outside. Just don't look."

After much wailing and a puddle of tears, we buried two of the Georges. I still don't know what happened to them. The rest had left...gone. I did a little research online and learned that it was time for them to leave the nest...they were plenty big enough. They had to make a 4-1/2 foot leap down from the nest onto the concrete of the driveway. I don't know if those two just didn't survive the leap or what. I was so sad. I know, I know...the whole circle of life thing...survival of the fittest and all that. I was just heartbroken that two of them died. I did see one of them later hiding in the tall grass of our front yard. I hope he finds a new nest to call home.

As I dug a hole in our soon-to-be flower bed for the burial, tears streaming down my face, I went through an internal session of kicking myself for getting so attached to the little guys. See, no thick emotional skin. What did I tell you? (See previous post...)

But as I've thought about my complete and total emotional vulnerability, I can't help but smile. It's what makes me who I am. Yes, I cry during sappy commercials and I gasp at the sight of dead animals by the side of the road. But I'm also so easily amused that I laugh openly and loudly at the same commercials over and over, regardless of how many times I've seen them. I think it makes life more enjoyable to feel deeply...to be emotionally available and open and aware.

I take great pleasure at the little things...the perfect grapefruit, fragrant lilacs, grass under my bare feet, a mid-afternoon nap cuddled up with my girls, a newly painted room. But I also drop into emotional turmoil when two of my little Georges don't make it to their two-month birthday.

It's what pulls me into my studio each morning...to surround myself with glass and to create...to pull from my deepest inside a seemingly endless supply of whimsical designs and eye-catching color combinations...all while keeping my brain occupied with books on tape, excellent music or taped season finales of my favorite shows. It's what allows me to do what I do day after day...and enjoy it so much. It's all part of the overly sensitive package called Kate.

I hope there are more Georges next spring.

No comments: