Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Good Peeps

I have some good friends. Travelling and moving around has taught that there are good people everywhere...people with kind hearts and gentle ways...people from whom I can learn.
Moving here to Wisconsin from Utah five years ago was a strange and wonderful adventure. I knew only Rit and her family. In fact, I'm ashamed to admit that my friend Banessa and I had to look on a map to find Wisconsin a few months before my move. We had the vague notion that it bordered Canada...which it does not.
But I love it here. I love the hot summers. I love Lake Michigan. I love the myriad of little bodies of water that dot the countryside. I love calling to tell my family in Utah that it's 30 below right now outside. I love the migrating geese flying overhead. I love the farmland and the dark richness of freshly tilled earth. I love the sunrises and sunsets over the lake. There is much to love here.
But most of all I love the people. Life moves at a slower pace here. I have learned from native Wisconsinites to be more empathetic, more willing to help another at a moment's notice, more aware of slowing down and enjoying life's small, frequent pleasures. These are good, kind-hearted people...and I have made some good friends during my years here.
I've been feeling quite under the weather lately. I was surprised yesterday with a knock at the door and a happy smile beaming at me through the window in the front door. My sweet friend Kim stopped for a quick visit to bring me a beautiful bouquet of daffodils.


I love you, Kimmie G. You made my day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it interesting where we end up in life? If someone would have told me that I would have told my high school self that I would live in Seattle, I would have never believed them. And yet...here I am.

Good friends are, well, good to have.

Kim said...

Aw shucks thanks Kate and right back at ya! Glad the daffodils brightened your day!